My Little Game Dev

Full Version: Videogames in medias
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was watching a video over on Youtube, and it had something I'd like to discuss with you.

It talked about a murder that happened here in Italy, made by two 15 years old girls who killed a man of about 60-70 years.
The two confessed their crime to the authorities, but get away with a "self-defence" excuse. They're still on it, though, as some parts are obscure.

Anyway, the point is, the girls said to one of their friends that it felt like being in GTA, because they killed him and then ran away with his car.

Obviously, the medias jumped on it like a cat with its prey, and said everything about violence in veideogames and how that corrupt kids, making them murderer.

I know it's no news, after Breivik and CoD or those 20 children in that school and Mass Effect, but I still don't understand how, after all these years of games, something like this can be even thought.

Say your opinion.
same reason comics were forced into the silver age for 20ish years because how "violent" and "immoral" (fucking super heroes man) at the time.

I wonder if video games will have a silver age? It'd be interesting. US brony game devs would have a bigger market for ourselves.
(04-15-2013, 11:50 PM)Ceresbane Wrote: [ -> ]same reason comics were forced into the silver age for 20ish years because how "violent" and "immoral" (fucking super heroes man) at the time.

I wonder if video games will have a silver age? It'd be interesting. US brony game devs would have a bigger market for ourselves.

Eh, I don't really understand what you mean by "silver age" for videogames.
I'm so sick of having the write out this opinion over and over. Ugh.

Video games do not cause violence. They are known to cause aggression in some cases, but so does almost everything else on the planet. People are stupid and anybody who spits this nonsense is an uneducated troglodyte without any idea what a video game actually is whatsoever. They use it as a scapegoat in order to ignore more pressing issues. Awful parenting, gun rights, and mental health are all issues nobody wants to tackle, so the go to excuse is video games and the media. And I for one am sick of this bullshit.

Also, it's not as if 15 year old girls are known for having the best sense of judgement in the first place. For that matter, how is that self defense if they stole his car? You can't have it two ways. Either it was "self defense' and they're justified or they did it "according to video games." Can't have it both ways, I'm afraid.

Sooooo sick of this topic.
(04-16-2013, 12:02 AM)FearlessPie Wrote: [ -> ]Sooooo sick of this topic.

Can't say I feel different, but it doesn't hurt confronting with different people (even if the idea is the same, there can be small differences).

(04-16-2013, 12:02 AM)FearlessPie Wrote: [ -> ]Also, it's not as if 15 year old girls are known for having the best sense of judgement in the first place. For that matter, how is that self defense if they stole his car? You can't have it two ways. Either it was "self defense' and they're justified or they did it "according to video games." Can't have it both ways, I'm afraid.

Apparently, the man was legitimately trying to rape them, and the girls did that. What's not convincing is how they managed to drive the car and even the whole situation. And I'm also not sure if they got charged for stealing.

(04-16-2013, 12:02 AM)FearlessPie Wrote: [ -> ]Video games do not cause violence. They are known to cause aggression in some cases, but so does almost everything else on the planet. People are stupid and anybody who spits this nonsense is an uneducated troglodyte without any idea what a video game actually is whatsoever. They use it as a scapegoat in order to ignore more pressing issues. Awful parenting, gun rights, and mental health are all issues nobody wants to tackle, so the go to excuse is video games and the media. And I for one am sick of this bullshit.

I can be thankful that the TV channels that reported this are the garbage of Italy, but I'd like to know how this is handled outside.
Video Games have their ups and downs as with anything in existence, like TV.

On one hand, Video Games obviously give people ideas. You cannot deny that video games influence our lives. On the other, Video Games may actually reduce the amount of violence in the world because of how realistic they are becoming. They could be very good stress reliefs, or ways to vent off evil thoughts by simulating that you actually did them.

I think if governments were to try getting rid of violent video games, they'd have the same problems as today, only now a riot to un-ban said video games.
(04-16-2013, 12:01 AM)Vanni Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-15-2013, 11:50 PM)Ceresbane Wrote: [ -> ]same reason comics were forced into the silver age for 20ish years because how "violent" and "immoral" (fucking super heroes man) at the time.

Eh, I don't really understand what you mean by "silver age" for videogames.

just look up the silver age of comics. due to legislation and demand videos games went from *ahem "violent"

to really camp and far out.

Much like today's indie market. The silver age would essentially have the mainstream market crash and the indie market rise to power.

of course horror titles and etc... would have to be down played.
Here is what my psychology book says on the subject: "Although much remains to be learned, studies again disconfirm the catharsis hypothesis- the idea that we feel better if we "blow off steam" by venting our emotions. Playing violent video games increases aggressive thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. Expressing anger breeds more anger, and practicing violence breeds more violence."(David G. Mayers 9th edition page 704)

It isn't just that people that like violence will play violent video games. They actually increase violent tendencies. It is not causation though. It only is one factor. There are far more important factors when it comes to violence. Any effects it does have are rather minimal, and those that actually go out and commit violent acts have far more important things happening in their life.
(04-16-2013, 08:00 AM)CaraCitrine Wrote: [ -> ]Here is what my psychology book says on the subject: "Although much remains to be learned, studies again disconfirm the catharsis hypothesis- the idea that we feel better if we "blow off steam" by venting our emotions. Playing violent video games increases aggressive thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. Expressing anger breeds more anger, and practicing violence breeds more violence."(David G. Mayers 9th edition page 704)

It isn't just that people that like violence will play violent video games. They actually increase violent tendencies. It is not causation though. It only is one factor. There are far more important factors when it comes to violence. Any effects it does have are rather minimal, and those that actually go out and commit violent acts have far more important things happening in their life.

I would have to clarify that its only really noticeable a few moments after the gaming. As it swings your mood to an annoyed swing.

However it can also give you a good mood, if you aren't frustrated.

As for building character, it does build character in the sense that you can have more initiative as a result of the gaming culture.

The aggression as you allude to but not say, is that it does not inspire you to act out these acts of deviance that is on violent video games, UNLESS you've been doing it beforehand or outside forces have added along to your need to do so.

video games can inspire and inform you of ways to kill. so what? so can tv, books, etc.

This explains what I was going to say. In fact:Why don't somepony put a watermark in their videos? I know those can be very annoying,but really?! Some random news network use YT Videos WITHOUT PERMISSION?! Next time,they should look at the one stupid(But very funny that can crack you up) video before using it! WTF?!
Pages: 1 2